Be Sure to check out our new Cooking Blog!! The link is in the column on the right.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Spring Break trip to Memphis

So, as Aaron mentioned, I spent my spring “break" – I use the quotes because staff do not get an official vacation just because the students are gone – with a bunch of students on an “Alternative” Spring Break trip. My boss was kind enough to let me have the time off. Now, regular readers can probably guess that my lovely spouse did mock me a bit for signing on to an adventure with ten undergraduates (nine female, one male), including a ten hour van ride and accommodations that required a sleeping bag. But it was definitely a worthwhile trip and a great learning experience.

We left Saturday at 7am and had a smooth ride down to Memphis. I was incredibly lucky in my student leaders for the trip: Jason was the master van driver for the long-hauls and Keeli was the master organizer, so I didn’t have to plan, navigate, or get behind the wheel of our 15 passenger van.

Our first full day was Sunday and we had the day off. We went to the zoo, and unfortunately I didn’t get any zoo pictures because I left my camera in the van, stupidly thinking that the Memphis zoo wouldn’t be as awesome as San Diego’s Wild Animal Park… but, apologies to family in San Diego… it was actually better! Half the price, with Pandas! and Gila Monsters! And penguins swimming! And an acquarium! Rockin, but no pictures, so moving on…

Next up, Graceland.

So of course, I wanted to meet Elvis. He was sweet enough to have his picture taken with me.

Then we made a quick stop at Sun Studios where awesome people like Elvis and Jonny Cash recorded.

That’s one of the ASU students posing with the sign. When Aaron and I go back we are definitely going to take the tour, and get a milk shake. They had awesome shakes.

Here’s Keeli, my student leader, inside with the merch.

On Monday we started our service projects. You see the point of Alternative Spring Break is for students to do service instead of just the normal spring-break type stuff.

This is from a google search of “normal spring break type stuff.”

Instead, we did this:

That’s me in front of the art supply closet that I organized and inventoried. Inventory was fun because they had such super random stuff: 28 red crayons, one Barbie shoe, 2 pipe cleaners, 100 sponge bob stickers, and one rock. This, no joke, was a typical draw in the art closet.

I also gardened:

There were flowers! It was 70 degrees! I got sunburned! I should probably back up and tell you about the organization we were working with. It was called the Church Health Center and their mission was to provide comprehensive health care to people who were working but low-income and uninsured. It was a really inspiring place. For every dollar they spend on care they also spend a dollar on prevention, hence the serenity garden outside the wellness center here, and the child life center where kids can play actively while their parents work out or take nutrition classes. They actually have a full demonstration kitchen (that I cleaned!) that has been on the Food Network.

On our other afternoon off we went to the Civil Rights Museum. It was awesome. If you ever get a chance, go! But leave yourself lots of time. There is lots of history.

The museum is in the Lorraine Hotel where Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated.

All and all, Memphis was a really cool city. I definitely want to go back. Before we left we made an evening of Beale Street. First we saw the ducks at the Peabody hotel.

I don’t have any really good pictures of the ducks in the fountain, so here’s the ladies on the roof at the duck palace.

And finally, a carriage ride down Beale Street to end a great week in Memphis.

Here is a picture of the whole group:

1 comment:

*Jess* said...

What a great experience!! :)