Be Sure to check out our new Cooking Blog!! The link is in the column on the right.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Farewell Boone….

Well… our time in Boone is coming to an end… and we’ve been making the most of it…

Last Friday, one of Virginia’s coworkers, Angel, hosted a going away party for us… AKA Trovatopalooza.. you may have seen the event on Facebook.. it was the biggest event in Boone in recent history. Given that it was such a huge event… I didn’t take many pictures….

The above is a wonderful creation that Josh came up with… it’s an awesome ham biscuit… with a deviled egg in it.. and a piece of teriyaki chicken… basically a combination of almost all of the foods available…. I made cannoli because Angel didn’t get to try the last batch, and I made some teriyaki wings… and some special hot wings…

The above would be a handful of Habaneros that I smoked on cedar planks… then, after getting them smoked to the point I wanted, I cranked up the heat to get a bit of flame on the cedar… just for picture purposes…

But.. the party was awesome… I just didn’t take pictures…

Saturday, we slept in a little bit… skipped the Farmer’s Market (we’re trying to eat all of the food out of our house…) Then, we went to Peabody’s for our regular Saturday afternoon wine tasting… we met there with Courtney, Ashley, and Josh to do the tasting… then to sit outside and have a few drinks before heading to our evening activity….

We drank some wine… it rained like crazy…. we had some cheese and crackers… then… we went to the Roller Derby.

I didn’t bring my good camera to the Derby… just the point and shoot… but, with the point and shoot I did make the video that I posted up last week…. so… this little ELPH 300HS isn’t a bad camera…

We started off sitting on the floor.. the “Suicide” seating… but.. my back wasn’t cooperating… in fact… my back hurt like hell… it hurt to stand.. it hurt to sit.. and it sure as hell hurt to be bent over, sitting on the floor… so… Saturday night, I headed home to a heating pad and the absolute strongest over the counter drugs that I could find..

Then Sunday… it was back into the car….

Then, on Sunday we went and visited Amanda in Greensboro… the above is a piece of campus artwork at Guilford College where she works… it’s an interesting campus…

The Hut … So… this sign belongs to the following building…

... and this building is apparently where the head Quaker dude on campus hangs out… they have meetings there… and… I dunno… they… make Oatmeal? I dunno…

According to the signs and whatnot around the area, Quakers decided to settle in the Greensboro / Guilford area…

We didn’t see a lot of these people walking around…

But… word on the street is that the Quakers run the college… in fact, Amanda was telling us something about all decisions by the governing bodies of the various parts of the school must be decided by consensus… which begs to raise the question… How do you fire someone? “Well, the board has reached an agreement… you’re fired” …. “See… I don’t agree with that.. I am in fact, not fired.” …. I see a flaw with the way they do things…

More to come soon….

No comments: