Be Sure to check out our new Cooking Blog!! The link is in the column on the right.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Death by Gingerbread.

So… I had plans today to make a Gingerbread apartment building… so, in preparation, we stayed up late last night making plenty of dough… then pressing the dough into the forms and baking batch after batch of gingerbread… of course, the down time was spent watching quality TV and drinking quality wine.

About midnight… we stopped cooking and climbed into bed. As expected, today was an apocalypse of snow and wind.. generally, blizzard conditions… high winds… snow from all directions… so.. the University was closed today, giving both Virginia and I the day off.  So, after a quick breakfast… we got back to cooking more gingerbread. But, eventually, we had collected all of the pieces that we’d need to make the “Apartment Building” …. or so we thought.. we actually ended up a little short.. so, we fired up the mixer for one last batch of dough… while mixing, all of the sudden, the mixing bowl went off to the side… the mixing bowl is metal, and locks into a plastic rotating doohickey on the base of the mixer stand… well.. the rotating doohickey sheared clean off…. so… no more attached mixer bowl = no more functioning mixer. … There’s a local place that sells refurbished Kitchen Aid mixers though… so.. I might have to go take a look at those… or, see if I can find a replacement base for our current mixer…

In any case.. due to the mixer going down, I couldn’t get the icing to properly mix.. it wasn’t as stiff as it should have been… and it wasn’t as structurally strong.. so…  the gingerbread building was falling apart as soon as I started to put it together… So… mixer.. you’ll be missed…. you lived an honorable life until taken down in your prime by a batch of gingerbread… worry not though… you will be avenged… or.. repaired. I think I can find a replacement base.

so.. not much else went on today… I felt that a blog update was in order though to describe the reason why the proposed construction didn’t get completed. …

I did play around with some neat camera stuff though… I took a piece of foam that I had leftover from making a flash bounce card and cut it down to fit inside of my 35mm lens threads… then cut a tree into it.

Like so.

Now.. why would I do this? Well… to get pictures like this:

Yep… that’s all it takes to make the lovely out of focus “Bokeh” turn from just colorful dots… to festive shaped little blobs… I thought it was pretty neat… and made it from things I had just lying around…

 

Grace has gotten more interested in the tree lately… so… we’ll end with a video from Simon Tofield that explains pretty well what’s been going on around here….

Oh… and I meant to add this earlier…. but.. I’ve ben playing with star trails again lately…

No comments: